The University Teachers Association of Ghana (UTAG) is demanding the immediate resignation of the Vice Chancellor of the University of Education, Winneba, Rev. Fr. Prof. Anthony Afful-Broni as it lists a litany of allegations against him.
Prof. Afful-Broni who is accused of sabotaging and causing the removal of his predecessor Prof. Mawutor Avoke, UTAG said, “should be blamed personally for all the bad press UEW has seen in recent years”.
“It is also interesting to note that there are allegations of financial malfeasance (i.e. GHS 5.7 million honorarium) as well as allegations of inflated and cooked up contracts against Prof. Afful-Broni, which were carried by no mean a paper than the Daily Graphic on Wednesday, March 13, 2019.
“We ask, has there been any measures taken by the Governing Council to investigate Prof. Afful-Broni and to cause a disciplinary action against him?” Dr. Eric Opoku Mensah National UTAG President asked in a press statement on Tuesday.
UTAG has also questioned the morality of the University Council’s Chairman Prof. Emmanuel Abakah which it likened to “dwarf” in the scheme of things.
Prof. Abakah is alleged to have promoted himself from an Associate Professor to a Professor without recourse to laid down procedure, and backdated the promotion to 2013 a year before his retirement from UEW.
“We are by this release calling on the President of the Republic to initiate a full scale investigation into the conduct of Prof. Emmanuel Abakah on the UEW Council and to bring him to book if found complicit. We equally call on CHRAJ to investigate the conflict of interest situation Prof. Abakah finds himself in.”
UTAG’s demands is part of an eight-point resolution after it has “carefully reflected” on the crises at UEW:
- We call for the immediate reinstatement of all affected staff and not only UTAG members.
- The immediate resignation of the Vice Chancellor, Prof Afful-Broni for his vindictive attitude and failure to reconcile factions in the crises he created and benefitted from.
- Swift investigations be conducted by CHRAJ into the conflict of interest cited against Prof. E. N. Abakah.
- We call on the NCTE, Ministry of Education, EOCO and the office of the Special Prosecutor to immediately launch a probe to investigate the several allegations levelled against Prof. Afful-Broni.
- A probe into alleged promotions given to people who did not meet the requirements spelt out in the Statutes of UEW.
- The immediate resignation of Prof. E. N. Abakah as Chairman of the Governing Council of UEW since he has failed to provide guidance and proper counsel to the entire Governing Council and the Management of UEW.
- We are again calling on the Catholic Bishops Conference to call Rev. Fr. Prof. Afful-Broni to order since he has become very treacherous and vindictive.
- As a matter of urgency, neutral persons should be brought in to lead the Management of UEW and the Council.
The statement said UTAG will work towards ending victimization of lecturers and other staff of the university.
“If we see no end in sight, UTAG will advise itself,” the statement stressed.
UTAG also restated the reasons assigned to the dismissal, demotion and suspension of some lecturers and staff of UEW numbering 23.
Source: 3news.com | Ghana